Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Roasted Cabbage

I recently made cabbage on the grill.  Quartered it, seasoned it, and wrapped it in foil to keep it together. Threw it on the hot side of the grill across from a few chicken breasts for about a half hour. Opened the foil at the end to let a little smoke in. It was pretty good. A friend of mine tried it at her house in the oven, and said it turned out raw and flavorless. Suspecting the heat in her oven was not as high as the grill, and definitely not as smoky, I set out to make a successful oven version. The oven version is much better, to my delight. I hope you enjoy it - a different way to use this versatile and inexpensive vegetable.


I started by chopping the cabbage into strips maybe a third of an inch wide:

Then, I piled it into a dark-colored baking sheet and sprinkled it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds.

 
Popped it into a hot oven (450F) for about 30 minutes. The ends of some of the slices had started to brown, but I wanted a little more char, so turned on the broiler for about 3 minutes before I took the cabbage out.

Nice and sweet, a little crispy. This was a good night.

Enjoy, jerks!

1 comment: