Saturday, December 10, 2011

I like beer, and I like cool-looking cans

so it makes sense that I like this beer in a cool-looking can!  It is well-known in certain circles that beer and wine stores in the 5-mile radius around my home sell their beer at very high prices.  Last week I discovered exactly how much one of the stores I used to frequent has been ripping me off.

Now, this beer store has been on my naughty list for some time.  When I discovered the quality of the Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA and bought a case a winter ago, the owner raised the price of that particular Sam Adams 6-pack from a respectable $8.49 to an expensive $9.99.  This fall, when I began buying beers from Widmer Bros. brewery, the price per 6-pack across all products from the brewery went from $8.99 to $10.99 within a week of my purchase.  Another favorite of mine, Raging Bitch, went from $8.99 to $10.99 after I bought a case.  I was willing to put up with this, however because the owners are super- friendly and would occasionally give me promotional materials like pilsner glasses and snifters, and a complimentary bottle of a new beer to try every so often.  He even gave me a 6-pack of Clipper City Hop3 (marked at an above-average-market $10.49) when I won his challenge to pick National Bohemian from MGD and Schlitz in a blind taste test.  While I'm complaining, Natty Boh sells for an outrageous $4.49 per six-pack in his store.

At any rate, I bought Brew Free or Die from this store at $15.99 per 6-pack for a July 4th party.  I figured that it cost so much because it was hard to get in MoCo. I really liked the beer, but never bought it again because I like other beers much better at that price point.  Imagine my surprise last week when I saw the beer at $8.99 a six-pack at Corridor!  I bought a case and have enjoyed a can or two this week.  I have sworn never to visit Mr. Price-gouger again, and now that the ICC is open, I may have to make the trip to corridor once a month.  With beer prices the way that are in my hood, the toll will be more than worth it.

As for the beer, it is a very good IPA.  Hoppy, but well-balanced with strong maltiness.  7% ABV.  And there's something about a can.  Perhaps it takes me back to my college days, or fishing trips, or maybe I'm just a lazy-ass and it's lighter, but I really like drinking beer out of a can.  And what a can!  Abe Lincoln punching out of Mount Rushmore?  It just makes me happy every time I look at it...

That is all.

Maybe not all... The other beers I have tried from this brewery, 21st Amendment,  were called Back in Black, a "Black IPA", and Hell of High Watermelon.  Both are not good, ether at the $8.99 or $15.99 price point.

2 comments:

  1. The cans are cool, look like beer not soda though (maybe you could get away with drinking in public?) Watermelon beer sounds disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beat the over-priced beer system! Especially when the beer is called Brew Free or Die...

    ReplyDelete